Monday, August 4, 2014

Rethinking Learning Projections in Mathematics

I often wonder if we limit ourselves by teaching mathematics in a prescribed progression. Dr. Maria Droujkova posted an interesting photo of an anonymous user on Khan Academy. Notice the non-linear nature of their progress, with 13% mastered of Early Math topics and higher percentages of mastery on "higher level" topics, like 62% mastered on Pre-Algebra.



My first question is, "did this person attempt 100% of each topic?" I know that I move away from topics that I find tedious. Especially at the early math levels. 

I am curious to see who this mystery user is.

1 comment:

  1. I posted the answer in comments: http://www.moebiusnoodles.com/2014/07/who-am-i-a-guessing-game/ I think the student tries to reach higher topics and seek completion there, but as yourself, moves on from tedious low level math.

    ReplyDelete