Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Colbert, Causation and Correlation


Interesting problems on correlation and causation are not easy to find. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places, but when I start to search, this is what I find:





This problem offers a nice contrast between causation and correlation, but it feels manufactured. There is nothing compelling about it. Nothing that shows why the causation-correlation contrast is worth thinking about. When we discuss the answer, students understand that the rooster doesn't cause the sun to rise. They know this is ridiculous and wonder, "why are we talking about this? No one thinks that a rooster causes the sun to rise." 

And this is where I am struggling. I want to use examples that show a meaningful contrast between correlation and causation, because I know I can find problems that reflect common assumptions about causation and thus spark a class debate. 

How many times do people assume that a correlation means causation? I know there are endless examples of this, but I need to start compiling them.  

I was watching Colbert this week and found one of my first examples. With some major editing, I am going to show this as my opening:





This clip captures answers a lot of the "so what" question as well as a hilarious example of correlation and causation:




I am now going to think about how to turn the autism and vaccine connection into a investigable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment