Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tell students "yet", more from EDUC115N: How to Learn Math

I am really getting into this online course.

The content and design are both superb! With each lesson they cite their sources, give clear lectures with great visuals, question prompts and moving interviews. With each assignment we get to give peer feedback (with guided instruction, they give us several sample comments to assess for consistency) and they have discussion forums with the ability to flag inappropriate postings. It really is beautifully done.

The video below is one of the parts of the third lesson. I suggest watching the entire thing, but especially Carol Dweck's interview at the end. She really speaks to the importance of a growth mindset and offers some simple advice around teaching the growth mindset. My take aways are below.

http://youtu.be/DpCKVERjkOA



After watching this video, I am thinking of the following:


1) I have a new mantra: "I want challenge to become our new comfort zone." I am going to use that line from Carol Dweck.

2) I like the idea of the word "yet" being very effective. For example, if someone has the wrong answer, you could say, "you're not there yet." This implies that students are on there way.  I am wondering what other words and key phrases I use. I hope to write these out throughout the year and share them.

3) I now have another reason to use standards based grading: Carol Dweck and Jo Boaler mention the science behind the need for showing growth.


2 comments:

  1. "I now have another reason to use standards based grading: Carol Dweck and Jo Boaler mention the science behind the need for showing growth."

    Combining SBG with student goal setting and monitoring their own progress are vital mechanisms for showing student growth. Too often keeping track of progress is limited to the teacher's grade book. Why not have students keep track as well? Students monitoring their own progress is a way to reinforce a growth mindset. "I'm not there yet, but with practice and effort I'll get there."

    After an assessment, students can even identify what they need to do to meet the target, i.e. create and implement a study plan: attend math lab, complete specific problems from the textbook or worksheet, etc.

    If students don't put in the effort, they'll still be one step closer to a growth mindset because they have learned they are only holding themselves back. Continuing to work with the student is an unspoken acknowledgement that I believe in you.

    BTW: Thanks for the detailed Cheez-it write up. I saw Danielson's post but yours has influenced me to try it with my pre-algebra students. I'm gonna fork out a few bucks and buy the Cheez-its!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you phrased this: "Continuing to work with the student is an unspoken acknowledgement that I believe in you."

      Good luck with the Cheez-Its and let me know if you figure out how to present it in your class. I am still working out the details.

      Delete